Bible Contradictions: Does God Prohibit Women to Speak in the Church?

Martha Lois Vallejo
2018-08-15 01:09:45

In 1 Timothy 2:11-12 we read, "Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. (12)  But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence."

Does the phrase “be in silence” literally means not to talk inside the church? If God prohibits women to teach in the church, why do we have women Sunday school teachers? Are we contradicting the Word of God?

The key to the problem of the word “silence” is on the following phrase, “nor to usurp authority over the man,…” The verse does not literally mean not talking or teaching inside the church. To be silent means to submit. It says “in silence with all subjection.” Women may teach in private (i.e. in an all-ladies class in the church), in their own houses and families; they are to be teachers of good things. But, a woman is not allowed to teach the things she is not supposed to or tasked to teach. One part of the rule is for a woman to feed the church with knowledge and understanding. Women are not to teach in the whole congregation of the church; for that is an act of taking power and authority of the man who has been given the task to feed the church with His Word. Thus, as long as her teaching does not usurp the authority of man, does not teach and preach in the church congregation where men are there, she is allowed to teach.

Mellvin Aure
2018-08-19 07:21:21

I learned that a long time ago that there is no preacher in a form of a girl or woman. They are just to echoe the preaching of the pastor. They can only teach member but not preach. For me any of the two is okay. As long as the Holy Spirit is not telling us that it is wrong then it is okay.

Jo William Gecain
2018-08-23 02:35:04

Women should be silent does not mean that women can not preach. God can use anyone, anybody and does not look on your limitations and weaknesses. 

Apostle Paul make a statement about it because there was an issue during that time, that there are women claiming that they were prophetess from God and it caused confusion that time. That is why Paul make a statement regarding to those women who claim they were from God and expose their wrong doctrines. So Paul warned the believers that women should be silent, he is pointing out to those women who were false teachers.

This is a challenge for men also to exercise their leadership and authorities because there are more ladies serving in the church than men. It is good thing to show that men will take the leadership and women will assist and support men in doing the ministries. Because God made Eve (woman) so that Adam will not be alone, and to support and to assist Adam.

Prince Steve
2018-08-23 15:54:04

What all of us are saying here may be right, correct or incorrect i can not actually tell because God know better but my point and my biggest bone of contention is why on earth do you never find a church or any church or a pastor or any pastor that would ever publicly want to read this scripture before the public, before the church or even the smallest gathering of Christians???? Why? Why why why pls??? Does this not signify that almost every average pastro  is hiding or has something to hide about this scripture named “1Timothy 2:11-12” ??? Is it not??? Pls let us all say the truth... not even in Nigeria where there are millions of churches than schools industries factories and offices.... never never will you hear anyone mention or even want to ever discuss about this particular scripture.... for me i think there so much being hidden about the scripture especially that of 1Timothy 2:11-12 honestly this is my take... lets hear the openion of others....

Meshack Bwoyele Keya
2018-08-23 17:59:18

During the time before the death and resurrection of Jesus, women were not to take active pistons in church. But when Jesus died, the curtains in the temple got torn allowing even women to the holy of hollies. Though some new testament writers wrote against women preaching, Jesus set them free to preach.

Prince Steve
2018-08-23 23:31:46

Well, ‘i am not quite sure about how correct what you are saying is, but i would do a little research just to respond to it..... so do give me some time.....

Edidiong Brown
2018-09-09 18:48:51

Yes,  God does prohibit women from speaking in the Church. 

They are to learn in silence. Brother Timothy spoke about it in the scriptures and it was revealed to us why women should learn in silence or why they should not pray in the Church general gathering. 

Jeffrey Jose
2018-09-10 01:16:25

It could be so. But she can still speak in other venues. God's priority is to the men but if there is none I think she can speak in the Church.

Adejoh Ezekiel
2019-01-09 11:22:33

God does not prohib women to speak in church

Jane Brace
Admin
2019-03-06 00:04:14

but this is in the scriptures that women should not

Joshua Omojefe
2019-03-14 15:28:41

the God have arrangement for everything, women's have their role they play in the church, but before women can administered, she cover heir, and composed her herself to send show that she has  respect from the men, and all also from God, and for the church, 

Jude Lazarus
2019-06-18 20:00:28

We must always understand the context of every word used in the Bible when it has to do with women in the church,  God never forbid women from speaking in the church because,  the scripture says in John 1:12 as many that receives Him those He gave the power to become the sons of God even those that believe on His Name,  here both man and  woman are addressed as sons because of  spiritual birth into one  body Christ.  The issue of woman not to speak in the church rose up when women in the corithians church were causing problems in the church through disorderly attitude,  Apostle Paul gave order or advice  that women should keep silence in the church service because of the noise making life style. The issue Paul addressed was for women to subject to the Authority of Christ physical in church which are the men.  There is no problem for women speaking in church but the issue is  that they operate under permission of the men who are also subjected to Christ the head of church.